10 common poisonous Spring and Summer plants for dogs

Spring has finally sprung (well, if we ignore the typical North West torrential rain!) and with it has come flowers and plants galore.

Beautiful blossom trees are lining the streets, primrose are decorating our gardens and wildflowers are making woods burst with colour.

But while lovely to look at, the toxicity in many common plants and flowers found in gardens across the UK could make your dog ill. Some can even be fatal.

Most dogs are somewhat careful with what they eat, but with young puppies, curious canines and dogs who have a ‘eat everything in sight’ attitude, owners must remain cautious of the natural hazards right outside their door.

Here are a few of the most common poisonous plants and flowers to look out for in Spring and Summer.

Daffodils – all parts of a daffodil can be toxic for dogs, from the bulbs even to the water they’ve been in

Tulip – the bulbs are the most poisonous part, irritating a dog’s mouth and causing gastrointestinal problems

Azalea – contains toxins capable of weakening a dog’s heart, which can lead to death

Iris – can cause skin irritation and gastrointestinal symptoms when ingested

Foxglove – the seeds and leaves are highly toxic, leading to vomiting, diarrhea and heart failure

Bluebell – all parts of the plant can be dangerous for dogs, especially if a large quantity is eaten

Ragwort – can cause irreversible liver damage and kidney failure and can be fatal

Delphinium/Larkspur – eating a young larkspur plant or seeds can cause serious neuromuscular effects in dogs and can be fatal

Hyacinth – mouth and oesophageal irritation can occur if eaten, as well as drooling, diarrhoea and breathing difficulties

Wisteria – symptoms from ingesting the seeds and pods can include vomiting, dehydration, severe diarrhoea, blood clots and strokes

Image by 4924546 from Pixabay